Monday, February 13, 2006

Holding my breath and jumping feet first

I am making a HUGE change in my life. For the last ten years, I've been working full time as a mechanical engineer. I now have two small children, and the toll of working full time, commuting, and being too exhausted to spend quality time with my children was too much.

Last week, I submitted my resignation to my boss.

This week, I am in the process of starting my own engineering consulting company. My goal is to have about 16 hours of work per week. My boss from my current job is willing to contract me work for about that amount, and I already have a project lined up. My first official day of being self-employed is Monday February 27th.

I'm not very good at accepting change, and this was a tough, but I believe worthwhile decision. I will now be able to be home raising my kids, but still have some technical work in my life.

3 comments:

Corey W. said...

you will be so great! Just think..you accepted change when you had kids...so this time will be a piece of cake! I'm a SAHM and love it! I still don't get much "me" time, but I get to be the sole person raising my daughter! I'm so happy you're able to do this...really, you'll love it!

Hi my name is Marjorie said...

Well tomorrow's the day...no getting ready and leaving home in the a.m. Good luck!

Sue K. said...

I've been "test driving" this arrangement since I've been on maternity leave, which is nice, because I know what I'm getting into. It's not like I've been working full time for a long time then stopping cold turkey. So far so good.