Thursday, January 04, 2007

Be Proactive

I am reading Stephen Covey's book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. It's a great read, and I thought I would journal about some of the things I am learning as a reinforcing exercise.

The first habit is "Be Proactive". It seems so straightforward, but how often do we assume that people are going to call, or that things will happen. It's more than taking initiative. It's about taking responsibility, focusing on the things we have influence on, making promises and keeping them, setting goals and working to acheive them.

Being proactive is one of my goals for 2007. I am working through the exercises in the book, and I've become more aware of things in my life that I can and can't influence.

8 comments:

kelli said...

Happy New year and good luck on the resolutions.

LaurieStar said...

Hey Sue,

Just checking in to your blog! That sounds like an interesting book - maybe I'll have to read it!

Good luck! Laurie

Anonymous said...

Crazy, cuz I'm readin' this too! I love his thoughts on being proactive! It's so powerful and positive!

Corey W. said...

You've been tagged!!!

http://mysimplelittleblog.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Yes it is a good one to keep rereading over the years. We can get so complacent.

Christina Carnoy said...

Merry Christmas!

Christina Carnoy said...

thanks for the awesome tidbit, i am really trying to work on things like that this year, so I will have to check back in from time to time to catch the updated vignettes!

Nikki said...

I love the Stephen Covey book series! My favorite is The 8th Habit.